Functional Ear Trainer – Basic is the original ear training tool developed in 2002. It has been replaced by Functional Ear Trainer v2, but it’s still available for download.
(click to enlarge)
Functional Ear Trainer is only available as a Microsoft Windows executable.
- Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP/Vista/Windows7
- Minimum 64MB of RAM
- Minimum 10MB free disk space
- Soundcard or MIDI device
Functional Ear Trainer – Basic can be downloaded and used for free:
(file type: ZIP, size: approx. 1.5 MB)
No ads. No banners. No spyware. No viruses. Just honest software.
Version 1.3 – 4 November 2010:
- Change: new chord voicings for the I-IV-V-I cadence
- Change: when you choose “one octave”, the tone is played an octave higher to better fall within the range of the new cadence chords
Version 1.2 – 27 January 2008:
- Bug fix: when the program was playing the question, it was possible to click the answer buttons. Now the buttons are disabled until the end of the question.
- Change: scale degrees above the answer buttons are now in Arabic numbers instead of Roman numbers.
- Change: when “One octave” is selected, the notes are now played an octave higher
- Change: “Scale Degrees” has been added to the View menu
- Change: removed the image of “The Scream” from Edvard Munch from the About window due to copyright reasons.
- Change: new installation program
2 December 2003:
- Change: renamed Functional Ear Trainer to Functional Ear Trainer – Basic to make a difference with the new Advanced version.
Version 1.1 – 2 December 2002:
- Change: changed the V chord of the 1-4-5-1 cadence to major (was minor)
Version 1.0 – 26 November 2002:
- First release.